Wednesday, October 25, 2017

Strings and other things!

I salvaged an old Singer Touch and Sew from the large trash pile a few blocks down one morning while I was taking my morning walk.  I just couldn't bear to think it was headed to a land fill.  So I picked it up dusted it off and gave it a good oiling and found that it seemed to work just fine.

So I thought I would set it up for a perfect 1/4 inch seam to sew some hour glass blocks.  Well, after changing out thread and adding a new needle it just didn't seem to want to sew right. Isn't that the way it always goes.  But, I was determined to figure out the problem.  After a few You Tube videos I learned to adjust the bobbin tensions and the bobbin case and still to no avail did it sew correctly.  So back to the internet and then I read that the spool of thread had to have some resistance on this machine so I place my hand over the thread on the top of the machine before it went into the tension regulator and low and behold it sewed perfectly.  I had scraped off some old foam pads on the thread holder as it seemed frail and never thought that it had a purpose.  So I decided to add some wool felt I had to replace the old foam.  It seemed to help but I still wasn't quite there. Then I found a piece of soft foam and cut out a piece to put on before the spool and wala my problem is cured.


So today, I am going to sit and stitch some string blocks. I started some of these a couple of years ago hoping to make up some baby quilts for future great grandchildren.  I know it wasn't that long ago I was waiting to have grandchildren. Ha Ha ! Nothing fancy but something they could be placed upon or use when they are sick and not feeling well. Kind of a utility baby quilt!


It's quite an adjustment stitching on this Singer Touch and Sew. I know it's not that old probably from the early 70s but I regularly sew on my Viking. Even though she's probably close to 15  years old she has an auto lift sensor system and auto needle down.  So adjusting to using that lever on the back of the machine had my mind boggled for a bit.  But, I am going to use the Singer to sew string blocks.  No need to worry about perfect 1/4 inch seams and whether she eats up the edge of the fabric when stitching as that will be trimmed off.  I am hoping that since the box of strings is next to the machine I might spend a few minutes here and there stitching some up.  It frees up my Viking for piecing blocks for my hour glass blocks. Just playing on her today makes me see why some like to sew on the vintage machines. 



10 comments:

  1. One person's trash is another person's treasure :0) What a fun find! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You were very persistent to get it working. It is nice to have a machine dedicated to a project that you don't always have to switch out threads and settings to work on something else.
    I sew on mechanical machines--nothing computerized, so I have none of those lovely features like auto lift or auto needle down. I love working with the older machines--and the Singer Touch and Sew was what I used in my junior high home economics class back in the early 70s. They only had 4 of them--the other machines were older. So the new machines were given to people that already had some sewing experience (I'm guessing that was so we didn't ruin them). :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My father gave me a Touch and Sew with the cabinet for Christmas in 1971. years later I gave it to my sister and bought a Pffaf portable which I gave to my daughter and bought a Bernina. My all time favorite is one of my 4 Singer Featherwieghts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That Singer looks a lot like one I had many, many moons ago. I had a Singer Golden Touch 'n Sew that my husband gave me for Christmas very early in our marriage. Wore it out. It had cams you inserted in the top of the machine so it would make some different stitches. Imagine you finding it in the throw away pile. Good find.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I learned on one of these also. I just couldn't let it go to the dump. Who knows if I run into someone who wants to learn to sew and needs a machine.

      Delete
  5. Nice save! I also have a dedicated sewing machine at the ready to work on strings and crumbs whenever the mood strikes. It is such a luxury to be able to have the extra machine(s) as well as the extra space to keep it set up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it going to be great to have it set up and ready to sew some strings

      Delete
  6. Glad that you were able to figure it out. The first machine I bought for myself was a Touch and Sew.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OH, YOU ROCK! Saving from annihilation a perfectly good and useful item for any sewing enthusiast! Good job! Will be very useful in having a spare if the main machine needs to go to it's hospital.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, I am very much would like to know what model ? It looks like a 600 ?
    Thank you 😊
    Colleen

    ReplyDelete