Sunday, April 28, 2013

Baltimore Garden Block One!

And so it begins, my journey making Baltimore Garden.  This week I made the blanket stitch flowers and appliqued the stems and leaves for block one which is A1 in the pattern and called Dorothy's Double Roses.
I love the contrast of red and green to the off white. This quilt was originally made in 1848, the original maker is unknown, however the initials M.E.C. were cross-stitched into one block. It is not known whether they are the maker's initials or the recipients.
This quilt was also made after traditional red and green quilts were popular and before Baltimore Album quilts became popular.
I am amazed that women back then could come up with such wonderful designs. They did not have all the tools that designers use today, just amazing!
Being a gardener, I can understand how they would be inspired by the beauty of nature to make something beautiful to show case in their home and enjoy year round.
So I will be enjoying today, as the ladies back in the mid seventeenth century, blanket stitching my flowers on block one, and of course I will be stopping over at Kathy's Quilts to see what others are slow stitching today!

16 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your first block. It is beautiful! I bought the book a while ago; I just wish there were more sewing hours in the day to start mine! Looking forward to watching your progress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Miriam, I agree more hours would be helpful! Thanks for stopping by and I will post blocks as I finish them.

      Delete
  2. A very good start. This is a book I do not have in my collection. Maybe I should consider purchasing one. I will watch your blocks a bit and make a decision.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one will definitely take awhile, it has a lot of layered flowers, but that is the very thing that attracted me to it. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  3. Your block is so pretty--I just love Baltimore Quilts--hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I thought I would never make one, but now I am addicted!

      Delete
  4. looks amazing!!!!! wow. oh this quilt has been on my list of quilts to make for a long time
    I saw the quilt a few years ago before the book came out and all I can say is OMG
    I am so glad your making it!
    Kathie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank Kathie! Being an avid gardener, this one was a must on my list! Is applique addictive? I think I may have come down with a bad case of it!

      Delete
  5. Gorgeous! And the history behind this quilt is so inspiring! Enjoy your stitching!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy, The original was abused, so glad that Barbara Burnham was able to save it and make this wonderful pattern. Her directions are so detailed and helpful!

      Delete
  6. Hi Carla. I saw your comment on another blog and had to come and say hi. I'm always interested in other 'Carla's
    Enjoy your stitching today

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful - a great start! Really going to enjoy seeing your progress on this one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay, Carla! You're off and running! It's going to be exciting to watch your progress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, and it's still April! I ran out of dmc yesterday and the local shop is closed today, so I spent another day in the landscape. Hopefully tomorrow, I can get my floss and start prepping block 2. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete