Saturday, October 11, 2014

October Brings Us Brown!


Well, I am off to a bit of a slow start this month!  Angela has chosen brown as our color of choice.  At first, I thought "Oh my! Brown will never work in my RSC quilts."  I read thru Angela's post and she suggested we make the blocks and then decide.   So I went to the sewing closet to see what I could find.
I knew I had some browns to use, but they are not the bright fun fabrics that have made up my other blocks.  Then I pulled out the gray and black whites that I have used in all of the other blocks.  " There is no way this is going to work!"  But I decided at the beginning of the year I would stick to using fabrics from my scrap box or at least my stash.  So I printed off my paper patterns and off I went to work making up the pieces that I would use to make the three pickle dish blocks that I need for this months challenge. Once I sewed them together, they started to grow on me. The real test will be how they will play with the others.
Three brown pickle-dish blocks!
I also pulled out a lot of other browns to make the four inch squares for my wonky star block.  I decided in my head if I used a lot of different browns maybe it would be able to fit in with the other bright fun blocks I had already made in the past months. This was the result!
Brown Wonky Star
I took a minute to lay out all my wonky stars to see if the brown block would work!  I must say I am a bit surprised that it looks pretty comfortable.  Not sure what the final layout will be yet.




Ten wonky star blocks!


I also put together a few nine patches this week.   I wanted to try  Barb's tutorial for the little nine patches that she and a group of bloggers are swapping!  They are fun to make and I plan on adding to my collection.  Hopefully, someday they will become quilt!




I am linking up with Angela and the rest of the RSC participants to see what others are doing with their brown, black and gray scraps.
 

32 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you gave brown a try. You just never know how everything will look at the end, but in any case, having blocks is better than having scraps. I think the brown star looks great with its friends. Hopefully the brown pickle dishes will play jus as nicely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the pickle dish browns love being with all the brighter colors. I was more worried about the wonky star as the blocks are larger. I am learning so much from RSC.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks, I agree, not sure what I would do if it didn't. I need twelve blocks by the end of year to turn this into a lap quilt. LOL

      Delete
  3. I usually have more brown in my stash then - say orange - it will work wait and see

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you are right. I was a bit concerned about the large wonky stars big blotches of color will it work, of course!

      Delete
  4. Love your browns this month! Hope your brown pickle dishes blend in as much as your wonky star block did! I am loving that quilt!!! Those little 9 patches look fun as does the tutorial you shared... would be an easy way to make little 9 patches for a jacks chain or anything fun with 9 patches! Thanks for sharing it and all your progress! Have a blessed weekend Carla :) Kathi

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the browns ...it all does seem to work, yes! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do like browns and rust colors. Falls colors. Putting a variety of the brown family together gives it more interest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree more is better and all the different prints really add some sparkle to a color that can be a bit dull!

      Delete
  7. wow, you made it work! Your wonky star blocks are terrific. I want to leave the computer and go make some. I was going gang busters with my patterns until brown. SKID!!! Crickets.
    LeeAnna at not afraid of color

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you get your mojo back, pull out some of your favorite colors and I am sure you will be feel better!

      Delete
  8. These look great! The pickle dishes remind me of footballs. :) I've been surprised how well the browns fit in too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think they all look great in browns! I found out that the darker colors really make the brights pop in quilts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad that I was pleasantly surprised, learning a lot about color as I work thru this challenge!

      Delete
  10. Thanks for posting the tute on this 9-patch. What a great place to use charm squares. LOVE your pickle dish blocks!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the idea of starting with charm squares too! They are an economical way to get a great variety of fabric.

      Delete
  11. Oh, I think the brown will play nicely in both the Pickle Dish and Wonky Stars. I saw Barb's way of making little 9Ps but I think if I'm making several the same there are easier ways to put them together. I like that tablecloth? those 9Ps are on. Did someone make that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Cathy, I made the tablecloth. It took me about ten years I think. I used to crochet doilies and this in my one large project. I guess it was my stress reliever back when my children were growing up, mom's need a little me time.

      Delete
  12. I wasn't too sure about making the brown blocks either. They do seem to anchor the other colors a bit, the darker color seems to give your eye a place to rest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, sometimes it is hard to do something that we don't think will work. But unless we give it go we will never know. So glad I have participated in the challenge this year.

      Delete
  13. I just really love those yummy chocoate pickles lol--they may rest the eye from all the colors...and I think the wonky brown stars blocks are great. hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Juilierose! You are right they fit right in, amazing how it works!

      Delete
  14. Brown, gray and black blocks work beautifully in rainbow quilts. The finished quilts look like boxes of crayons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great way to look at it Sheila! I also realized that mother natures starts with the brown earth when starting her garden!

      Delete
  15. I think your brown wonky star blocks are playing very nicely with the other blocks! I'll bet that the brown pickles will too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathy! We are getting so close to the end of year, can't wait till that day in January when I can play with all of the blocks and come up with a final layout!

      Delete
  16. The brown blocks are great. They help to anchor the colours. Your placement of them really helps to make them fit; the orange block and the blues have some of the same dark tones and it all just pulls together. I'm sure the same will happen with the pickle dishes. Glad you tried!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right, they are like an anchor for all the bright colors! I agree the pickle dishes will work also, I was more worried about the wonky star since the blocks are so large. I agree the arrangement helps, it is funny the things we learn about color that just become matter of fact to us as we decide about the layout! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  17. It's nice to see how well the brown plays with all the wonky stars. And the pickle dish blocks look great too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad they play together well, as I wasn't sure what I would do if they didn't work. My love of gardening has taught me to at least give a try. Mother Nature doesn't discriminate when it comes to color, the more the merrier!

      Delete