Saturday, December 8, 2018

Variety the spice of life!

Have you ever made the same quilt twice?  Something I have never done and have no desire to do. Not that anything is wrong with that, but there are so many other quilts that tempt me.  I really love it when a quilt teaches me something new, and none of my quilts have let me down.  I love finding an element in an antique or vintage quilt that really catches my eye or a quilting design that I keep in the back of my head, cause you just never know when you can try it out or it just may be what that next quilt needs.  These elements are usually what call me to make another quilt.  For my Texas star, it was about hand piecing and challenging myself to design a border.  When it comes to the quilting I like to challenge myself also.  So for my Texas star, I decided to use regular quilting with some big stitch.  I have done both before but never together in the same quilt.  I am also using several different shades of Perle cotton in one quilt.


After designing the whimsical border, it just called out for some whimsical quilting too so it could compete with those lovely stars. The pictures above show all the regular quilting completed on the borders.   I am not sure of the original use of perle cotton, but it works great for big stitching. The large visible stitches really add a lot to a quilt.  I also think it's a great way to try hand quilting if you have been tempted to do so.  I can't wait to get started!

I really like how it's turning out!

20 comments:

  1. I always wonder how it was that quilters started to use Perle Cotton and other thick threads for quilting - I like them but I think they were originally for Red Work and other embroidery projects. Great quilting as always!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A friend told me last night she used it years ago for hardanger work. So I who knows but I am glad we have a variety of weights and colors as it makes it all so much more fun!

      Delete
  2. Texas Star is such a lovely quilt. I've never mixed short and long stitch hand quilting together but someday I will. This year I mixed hand quilting and long arm quilting in the same quilt. I agree, I learn something new from every quilt I make. Happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems the possibilities are endless when it comes to quilting! I have never mixed machine and hand but it sure does make sense.

      Delete
  3. Looking forward to your big stitching in multiple colors photos... I usually don't do the same quilt twice either ... unless I am attempting changes from the original for some reason.. like you are :D
    Have fun today big stitching... your regular stitching looks GREAT!!!! Kathi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I feel I have done that been there time to try something different. There are too many that are calling my name to look back down that path.

      Delete
  4. I really like the quilting with the perle. I have a quilt Im hand quilting (my first attempt) but Im not keen on the process and consequently not even looked at it for a year....maybe I should try the thicker thread?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think big stitching is a wonderful way to learn to hand quilt. A larger needle is always easier to handle and the process is faster so it doesn't seem impossible. It really enhances the quilt top to see those not so perfect hand stitches.

      Delete
  5. I love your big stitches. They really add fun to your zigzag border. The circles add whimsy too! I am making the same quilt again for the first time as well. I was making a crib quilt for my nephew and his wife (and soon new baby) when I decided the one I was making was too large. Instead of ripping the leafs apart I decided to keep them as is and just make another for later for someone else. Happy stitching. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do not usually make the same quilt twice either. Your big stitching is perfect for your fun border! Quilt on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes too many shapes patterns and blocks out there, isn't there. I am glad I decided on the big stitching too!

      Delete
  7. I have made the same quilt again...lack of creativeness I think! Love how your stars border is coming along. So fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well there is nothing wrong with repeating a pattern if you love making it! It's all about what we want to do!

      Delete
  8. It's fabulous! I love it when quilters use coloured quilting threads so we can see the stitches... that's perfect for your border!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I say anything goes if it makes us happy. I like to see my stitches also, not sure how some can hand quilt a whole quilt in the ditch!

      Delete
  9. I am way behind on the blogs! I have been following this quilt and loving it every step of the way. Love your choice of the green borders. They really make it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was totally from stash and I too like the green. I find it harder to keep up with blogs too wish I had the energy I had years ago

      Delete
  10. I really love the colors in this quilt! It just pops!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It just came from the stash Thanks so much for stopping by

      Delete