Sunday, February 4, 2018

Celebrating Accomplishments!

Another busy week here, but I was able to fit in some hand quilting each evening.  I started the final row of blocks around the outside edge of the quilt last Sunday.  I have three units left to quilt.


A fellow quilter asked me what I was going to quilt into the white squares and I thought about a Lemoyne star back when I first started quilting this quilt.  She suggested a mariner's star, since afterall this is an ocean waves quilt.  So I got on Blockbase and found this mariner's star that I thought would look great and also balance with the quilting in the triangles.



Yesterday afternoon I got out my Elmers rubber cement and my cereal box cardboard and made some templates to help me mark my quilt.  It's a great feeling to get the decision behind me and sparks me on to get this quilt finished.  However, I will be heading out shortly to have lunch with my hubby of 41 years.  Yes, anniversary 41 and going strong!



19 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I am just glad to have made a decisions. It's great to have internet quilting friends that come thru for you.

      Delete
  2. Love the quilting idea! Congratulations on 41 years with your hubby!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ellen, doesn't seem like 41 years LOL I am glad it's a simple design to mark and I have the decision made.

      Delete
  3. congrats on your 41 years - I have you beat - will be 46 for me and hubby in June. Love the design you have come up with I think it will be great

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks sometimes it is hard to decide on what to do! I am looking forward to finishing the quilting on the triangles. Time for some change!

      Delete
  4. You are making great progress. I like the idea of a nautical star with the ocean wave block. Happy Anniversary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I think it's a great solution too! Hopefully I can get these last three units of triangles quilted this evening. It will be fun to stitch the white blocks as there are no seams!

      Delete
  5. I find the hardest part of hand quilting is deciding what to use for a design or stencil. Love filling in large white spaces on a quilt too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the past I have made quilts because I wanted to try a new quilting design. I liked the idea of finally having a quilt I just had to outline quilt but those white squares had me stumped. Now it's just a matter of moving forward and getting this one done.

      Delete
  6. Happy anniversary! I am drawn to your Mariner's Compass template. It will look fantastic! I would love to piece a MC quilt someday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have always wanted to make a mariner's compass too! Thanks for stopping by

      Delete
  7. Happy anniversary. 41 years is an accomplishment. My husband and I had 54 years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow 54 years how wonderful! They just had a couple on the news that were celebrating 75 they must have gotten married as children. LOL

      Delete
  8. Congratulations on your evening hand quilting and on this anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a wonderful way to end each day. I often feel lost when I finish a quilt, but there is always another block or pattern I want to try.

      Delete
  9. You making cereal box templates makes me think of my friend Sue. She often made cereal box templates. And she saved the waxed papers that held the cereals and made use of them in the kitchen. She made her own notepaper from advertising circulars. Just brought back a memory for me. Anyhow, it is a good idea of a way to be able to mark your quilts.

    ReplyDelete