Sunday, May 18, 2014

Backbasting Applique

I find when doing applique, it is a good idea to learn several techniques.  I think one of the best ways to learn needleturn applique is to start with learning a technique that is called backbasting.

With backbasting the shape you want to make is drawn on the back side of the fabric.  Then a piece of fabric cut large enough to cover this area plus a generous seam allowance  is place right side up on the right side of the block and pinned in place.  Then from the back side you baste on the drawn lines.  I like using hand quilting thread and a larger needle.  The holes formed by the needle and thread will later act very similar to perforated paper and assist you with the needle turn process.

After the basting is done, I like to wait till the next day to actually start the needleturn applique.  The needleturn process starts with clipping the basting on the front side and removing a couple of stitches.  Then use your needle to turn under the seam allowance.  You will find that the fabric will want to naturally turn where the thread and needle have perforated the fabric.

I love this technique on larger pieces of applique, as it really helps keep them from shifting.  It is also great on stems when they are not one uniform size.  I also find it works great on curved handles, so you don't have to fight with bias strips to get them to lay flat. As you can see on this block, I used it only on  three of the many stems as they flared out on the end..



This shows the basting on the backside of the block

This is the front side after I trimmed it leaving a scant 1/4 inch seam allowance.

This photo shows the flare at the bottom of the stem.
There are a lot of You Tube videos on back basting, so if you haven't  tried it may I suggest you  give it a try.  You never know when you might run into a situation on a block that it may come in very handy.

23 comments:

  1. I haven't seen this before. So that means you are placing a larger piece of face and trimming it after basting though

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Jo, after basting you trim the seam allowance back. Then by removing a few stitches at a time you proceed with our needleturn applique. It really helps keeps the fabric flat and in place.

      Delete
  2. I have never tried this way and in fact I don't think I even heard of it until a couple years ago! I wonder why that is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is really comes in handy with larger pieces. I am using it for the first time with some layered flowers. It is a nice go to method when other methods just won't do the trick. Some say the basting takes extra time, but you save time by not having to make templates.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the tip. I have never heard of this technique but I will try it one day just for the fun of learning something new. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is good to have a bag of tricks. Hope it comes in handy for you some day.

      Delete
  4. Great demo! Thanks for sharing this method as I've wanted to try it for some time but hadn't seen it done. Now I know I'll try it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Diane, I find it very useful when trying to applique a circle, large pieces as in Hawaiian quilts and tight curves like the handle of the urns. It really doesn't take any longer since you don't have to make templates.

      Delete
  5. THis is how I do my hand applique. A bit extra work but the result is worth it xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Gina, it gets that piece right where you want it. I don't think it really takes more time, cause you save time by not having to make and cut out templates.

      Delete
  6. I had read about back-basting, but didn't really get it until someone showed me. Now, it's my favorite way to prepare for needle turn appliqué, too. Your photos are great for showing how it's done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is good to have an open mind about learning new techniques. I think back basting is a great method for beginners to learn needleturn. It really keeps those applique pieces right where you want them.

      Delete
  7. Great explanation! I'm going to try this with my Quilt Square blocks once I pick them up again. Thanks for the great explanation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you enjoy it.It is a just a different approach and works out great when traveling since you don't have to worry about pins falling out. I like to wait about 24 hours for the backbasting to leave it's imprint in the fabric. It really makes turning right on the seam line easier.

      Delete
  8. Your explanation and pictures explained this so well!! I agree that a person needs different appliqué techniques for different pieces. Thanks. & going to try this on my next stems

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Judy, Hope you enjoy and find it helpful. You are so right about applique it is good to have a bag of tricks.

      Delete
  9. Excellent explanation. I need to try this method as it certainly seems like it would be an easier way for me to tackle needle turn appliqué.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy it is perfect for beginners. I did my hawaiian blocks using this method. It keep the fabric flat and in place and you don't have to deal with pins falling out and catching your thread on them.

      Delete
  10. interesting, I've never tried this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it is easier than marking the applique pieces when it come to weird shapes. It keeps the fabric nice and flat. Leaving the basting in overnight before doing the needle turn really makes that seam line like perforated paper and it runs under so much easier.

      Delete
  11. I'm trying quite a few applique methods to see which one I prefer. Thanks for the post, Carla! Your stems are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think most appliquers end up with a favorite method, Mine is freezer paper on top, but I do love having the others to turn to, when I get into a pinch!

      Delete