Saturday, April 11, 2015

Tribute to GW

I know I have mentioned that I am working on a quilt called Tribute to GW! I have been reading some books about George Washington and last summer I won some wonderful George fabric from Julierose. My plan is to include blocks that include some aspect of our first president's life.  The first block I finished was an  embroidered block of cherries. I here tell that the story of GW not lying about cutting down the cherry tree is not true, but the story was told to teach us a bit about his character. So I had to include some cherries!


Then I have been wanting to make a tree of life block and must say that Audrey over at Quilty Folk posts on her tree of life block made me give it  a try.  I used the instructions she shared, however I made a decision to trim a piece down and lost a couple of points on the trunk. The important thing is I figured out what I did wrong.   I added a bit of red to make it a cherry tree.


I definitely wanted to use the George fabric that Julierose shared and came up with this little block.  Doesn't it seem fitting?   He is a star in my book, such a man of principle and honor.



I also played around with some scraps to make a "G" and  a "W" block.  I love the blue and brown together.

I definitely wanted to add an eagle block as the eagle is our national bird.  So for the last few weeks I have been working on an appliqued eagle block.  With Spring arriving, I have spent quite a few days this week doing yard work so I am making slow progress but it is nice to have a little applique project going. I am working on his wing this weekend, but he really needs his head, a bit creepy without it.


A few more blocks, and I think I will start drawing up a layout!  Then I can have fun coming up with some filler blocks to bring it all together!

39 comments:

  1. Oh, my...I love what I see. What creative ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful ideas - can't wait to see everything together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It is nice to be a bit daring sometimes. I guess that maybe working on my album quilt for two years might have made me a bit crazy and daring!

      Delete
  3. you are being so original! great going looking forward to seeing the layout.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the math when it comes to quilting so hopefully I can figure out how to put my ideas together.

      Delete
  4. Interesting quilt project. I look forward to seeing other blocks that represent him you will create.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The best part of this project so far is coming up with ideas and blocks to include!

      Delete
  5. I am loving seeing your GW project come together... are you making your blocks in complementary sizes for bringing them all together later or just concentrating on making each block the size IT wants to be? I am excited to see this fun little project come together .. thanks for sharing your journey along the way to greatness!!! Kathi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No I have not given block size a thought. I do know I didn't want to do equal sized blocks with sashing as they do not appeal to me.

      Delete
  6. This is going to be a fun quilt, love the cherry tree!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely has been fun so far! I also like that there are no rules and any technique goes!

      Delete
  7. Wow, what creativity ... I can't wait to see what else you're going to come up with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think after two years of carefully placing all the applique pieces on Baltimore Garden I needed to just doing something crazy like this!

      Delete
  8. Love your project. Great creativity! You do lovely work!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I just needed to something different! It is so much fun to dream about how it might come together.

      Delete
  9. What an interesting quilt this will! I'm looking forward to seeing how you connect the blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am loving this quilt! You are such a talented lady this will be so fun to watch you turn into a quilt. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know about talent! But since our current politicians are making a mess of things it is nice to go back and read and stitch a quilt about a very great person. The best part is, he attributes his success to his mother!

      Delete
  11. I love each and every block!! Such a fun post!

    As to being headless...well all in good time :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deb! Taking a chance and just going with ideas is so much fun! The best part is there won't be another like it!

      Delete
  12. How fun--can't wait to see how you bring it all together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely fun! The sky is the limit so who knows how it will come together!

      Delete
  13. Such a fun and creative way to design a quilt! Can't wait to see how it all comes together!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great theme for a quilt! Very creative blocks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is fun to think about what I want to add, I just hope that I have just as much fun making them all work together. I love the math part of quilting, so it shouldn't be too hard.

      Delete
  15. My favourite block is the cherry tree! Have fun with your appliqué...I hope the eagle finds his head by next week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He looks so much better with his head attached. i love the tree of life block! I think I finally have the ability to piece it half way decently.

      Delete
  16. Super blocks! I can't wait to see how you put them all together. Love the eagle (well, with his head on of course). Did you design it? I have a whole scrapbook full of eagle inspirations and then I seem to go and draw something completely different. Our Osprey have come back to the nest on the spindle (aid to navigation) so the eagles have moved on to other fishing grounds for the summer. Not that I can draw from the real thing but I do miss them anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We enjoyed watching the eagle feed on the Mississippi when we lived near St Louis. So glad that the numbers are growing. I got the eagle block from a free project on the Henry Glass site. The link for the pdf is : http://www.henryglassfabrics.com/media/fabrics/projects/A_Touch_of_Baltimore_Both_Versions_Pattern_02202014_Web_File.pdf

      Delete
  17. Very interesting patriotic project, and a beautiful tribute to George Washington! Your blocks are very nice and I am eager to see the finished top.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yeah I like all the different techniques too! I agree I had to include some cherries!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love how your GW quilt is coming together! What a great quilt.:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am having fun coming up with blocks we shall see how much fun comes putting it together!

      Delete
  20. Hooray! I love GW - do you need more fabric with him on it? Let me now - I have quite a bit.
    love the cherry block

    ReplyDelete
  21. I loved this post (even though I'm not in the US!) I especially like how you are using different blocks and techniques to get in all the aspects you want to cover.

    ReplyDelete