Sunday, June 28, 2015

Summer Stitching

This time of year with the wonderful weather we are having really plays havoc with my stitching time.  This morning my husband who has been home after shoulder surgery needed to get out of the house so we decided to head up to the state park and enjoy the scenery. Mr Max came along so that he too could enjoy the park.  It was nice to enjoy the fresh air and the views.

 But, it really doesn't get me any closer to finishing my Mt Vernon block that has been haunting me lately.  I decided my Tribute to George deserved a block that honored Mt Vernon.  Have you ever visited Mr Vernon, I throughly enjoyed our visit a few years ago.

So this afternoon, I am working on a couple of shrubs on each side of the front door and some stepping stones that are the front walk.  Then the weeping cherry  trees need some pink spring blossoms to bring it alive. That shouldn't be too hard to accomplish. For motivation, I will be heading over to Kathy's blog and join the rest of the stitchers for Slow Stitching Sunday.

Sunday, June 21, 2015

Row 24

Not sure what has happened to the month of June.  I guess I have been too busy to sit and relax. So, that is what I am planning for the rest of the afternoon.  Adding some navy scraps left over from Scrappy Happy to my TATW.  It has been a while since I have taken any slow stitches, sure do miss them.

Friday, June 19, 2015

Scrappy Happy is a top!

I finally got all my parts sewn together.  Not completely finished but it is a top that can go in the waiting to be quilted area of the quilting closet.  I really am glad I took the time to cut all those small pieces of scraps into 1.5 inch squares and love that I found a use for the navy vintage background fabric that came from my mom's stash.  I usually name my quilts and this one hasn't been easy to name. So I am settling for Scrappy Happy!

Thursday, June 4, 2015


I finished up all of the 16 patches needed for my quilt. They are so pretty all stacked up in piles of ten so I could keep count as I made them.  So Tuesday I started cutting the background fabric.  I need a lot of setting triangles so I decided the easiest way to cut them was to start with a square and cut diagonally from corner to corner.  I started with an extra half inch and will need to trim my rows down before sewing together, but I think it will really make things a whole lot easier overall.

I love all the color in this quilt!  I am using some vintage fabric I found at my mom's house. I think it is perfect to showcase the bits of scraps I sewed together into the sixteen patches. I am already thinking about how it will be quilted.  Never to early to think about that! But first it needs to become a top!