Sunday, January 21, 2018

Slow start to Slow Stitching

Yesterday I felt like I was coming down with a cold. This morning I am sure. I stayed in bed all morning and rested but staying in bed all day is just difficult. So I have finally gotten up and will spend the rest of the day sitting on the sofa and put in a few more stitches.


Progress has been great this week on my ocean waves.  I have 70 percent of the triangles quilted.  A lot of the basting pins have been removed a sure sign of progress!



This quilt is such a joy to quilt. I am outlining all of the triangles.  But, I still need to mark my stitching lines.  I know some quilters can do this without marking but I am not one of those that can't.  My favorite tool to use on solid fabrics is the hera marker but since this quilt has so many seams I find using the mechanical pencil works best.
I have been using the paper mate mechanical pencil ever since I came across Sue Garman's blog post about her pencil of choice.  It's been reliable in that it always washes out.



I am linking to slow stitching Sunday over at Kathy's Quilts. She is asking that we post a pic of the hoop we use. I love the my Barnett hoop on a stand. I have a fourteen inch and 18 inch hoop that I can use with it. I only wish I had invested in one sooner.



21 comments:

  1. Wishing you a speedy recovery from the cold. I would love to have a hoop stand like that. It must be just divine. ;^)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am feeling better this am so thankyou! I think the extra rest early and fluids is paying off!

      Delete
  2. that is a neat looking stand - I really never liked the square Grace hoop on a stand that I have and never use - it has been packed away almost since I got it, I could never get comfortable with it. I had not heard that the lead pencil that you mention washes out - I never use lead for marking quilt lines as I never found one that did wash out completely. Hope you get over your cold soon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I really think it is the same soft lead that the sewline pens use. We all use what works for us and that is what is so great about quilting. I can't believe that some quilt without a hoop but if it works for them I say go for it!

      Delete
  3. i use the same simple pencils! :)

    Tell that cold to hit the road!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah sell it in it a quilt store and the price doubles. Ha Ha Feeling better this am so I think the extra rest and fluids are paying off

      Delete
  4. I also use the same pencils. I like your standing hoop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I love the soft line that they produce. Wish I could quilt without marking sometimes but I really love having that line.

      Delete
  5. I'm not feeling all that great today either . . . I was just thinking about crawling back in bed:) Your red and white quilt is gorgeous . . . you do such pretty work.
    Connie :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope your feeling better. Thanks soon I will have finally have the red and white quilt I have always wanted!

      Delete
  6. Hope resting helps lead that cold away. You have made speedy progress on that quilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I think staying and bed and plenty of fluids have helped a lot! I am excited to get this one completely done maybe that is helping in the progress

      Delete
  7. I hope your cold is better when you wake this morning Carla! I love this quilt you are quilting and your dish that collects your pins too... I love using pencil for marking when blue spritz away markers or chalk don't work as well :) Happy stitching and thanks for sharing your hoop... nice to have the larger and smaller sizes of that hoop for your stand too! Take care ... Kathi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree I like the fine line and sometimes chalk rub offs or the line is too thick. I am feeling better but plan to contiue to get enough rest and drink plenty of fluids

      Delete
  8. Be careful even with those pencils...sometimes heat will set them and even continuous washing won't remove the mark. I will only use white chalk or these fine mechanical pencils.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm going to pick up some of those pencils next time I'm in town. Love your quilt, she's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your quilt is gorgeous. Love red and white quilts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jennie! I do too ! I had a hard time deciding which block to use. I am glad I challenged myself to do an ocean waves.

      Delete
  11. Being sick is no fun. I feel better if I am able to do as you did and sit up and stitch a bit. Or even look at quilty things on the computer.

    ReplyDelete