Sunday, October 22, 2017

A king size finish!

Well, I was able to finish stitching down the binding on my king size log cabin last Sunday.  It had been a while since I stitched down binding and it sure felt good.




With the fall like temps Saturday we headed to the state fair. The weather was perfect cloudy and cool.  We had a hard time staying away from all the vendors serving fried food.  We did have a Corny Dog and we shared a fried Texas sheet cake. It was very very good!!!!


My favorite part of the fair are the livestock barns.  It was nice seeing the hogs, sheep, cattle and chickens on display.  I guess you just can't take the country out of someone who was raised on a farm.





The fair reminds us that summer has ended and fall has arrived. We don't get the big display of fall color here, but I do enjoy the color in my big pot of coleus.  I really need to plant the pansies and ornamental kale that I purchased early this week but my heart has a hard time pulling up the coleus.  I have to remind myself it won't be long till a frost will kill them anyway.

16 comments:

  1. I love your quilt - it's gorgeous. A king size quilt has a lot of binding to stitch down so you got plenty of time to cuddle under it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it did take some time. It was a very relaxing afternoon and the cooler temps outside really helped.

      Delete
  2. Your quilt is stunning congrats on the finish, here is Florida we don't get much in the way of color so I usually start bringing in the mums and a few pumpkins to add some color.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I love mums and hope to find a place to incorporate a little fall setting at my front door next year. I need to go shopping right after Halloween to see what bargins I can find to place around a mum!

      Delete
  3. I adore your quilt. It took me a while to see what made it different. It is not strictly light and dark in the diamonds, but the diamond shape shines through. Absolutely gorgeous. I have to keep this layout in mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cathie! I love the setting for a bed quilt since it looks the same from each side. I found it by searching pinterest, not sure if it has a name.

      Delete
  4. I like binding too, my favorite handwork. Visiting from Slow Sunday Stitching.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like most of the quilting making process, except cutting and basting quilts. I have learned to tolerate cutting by just cutting a few blocks out at time and then stitching them. I guess that is why I love making scrappy quilts.

      Delete
  5. What a beautiful quilt! Enjoy snuggling under that one. I hear we might get cooler temps on Tuesday... I can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its cooled off here a bit so I hope its coming your way. Texas has some hot summers but not as humid in our parts like Florida but I do love the long fall and springs can be nice too. A fellow transplant from Michigan said to me I have never had to wipe sunshine from my windshield and I say Amen!

      Delete
  6. Nice to see you blogging again. The quilt is another masterpiece :)

    Fried Texas Sheet Cake??? LOL this reminds me of the Fried Oreos at our local fairs / festivals. BUT I had never had one and thought that they were ONLY for those occasions until one day a year or so ago, when I stopped down at my son's house on the weekend.

    There was my DIL, frying Oreos for the kids! I think she dipped them in Bisquick or something....not sure, but I was surprised that 'real' people did this :)

    We have people around here that like Fried Pickles and that is just TOO over the top for me. I'll take my pickles alone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deb, Yes once a year at the fair would be bad enough. Now I do love my fried pickles and pickle potato chips. Yes I am going to try and keep up documenting my quilting journey. I don't seem to get as much done now so maybe blogging will get my bottom in gear!!!!!

      Delete
  7. Your quilt is gorgeous! Congrats on the finish!
    I love the fall fairs too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful quilt! Getting the binding done is so satisfying! Is it on your bed yet?

    ReplyDelete