Sunday, October 30, 2016

So what's next?

Since I just finished a quilt I am looking forward to what is next.  I remember a time when I just couldn't wait to start the next project.  It seems now a days I like to put a bit more thought into what I want to spend my time making.  I have wrestled with what to do with a bolt of solid red fabric I bought several years ago. I really love two color quilts and know that is the direction I want to move.  So I narrowed down my choices for a red and white quilt to an ocean waves, lady of the lake, or broken dishes.  Well, I have made my choice Lady of the Lake.  Not quite as many of those HST's as Ocean Waves which is helping me with the decision.  Piecing has alway been a challenge for me!  So to encourage me to start I ordered Bonnie Hunter's essential triangle ruler and I hope with her experienced advice I can become a more accurate piecer.  I need to dig out my white bolt of fabric and see if I have enough to start but hopefully that will happen over the next few weeks.

As for today, I really need to relax.  It has been a crazy week here.  I spent a  lot to time working on the lawn.  The previous owner did nothing to control the weeds.  I had some weed with a purple daisy looking flower that are actually winning the war between it and the burmuda.  I also have been tilling organic matter into the soil that will be my little kitchen garden.  We will see??  It has come along way this summer at least all the rocks have been removed and the sod has been busted. Now to let the organic matter and worms do their magic over the winter.  So it feels good to take the afternoon off and add some leaves to my trailing vine quilt.  It's my go to project in between any others.  So glad it is there.
Pieced and prepped leaves for Trailing Vines

My granddaughter Aria put in a request for a quilt for her doll Leah.  She told me Leah would love to have a quilt just like the one that I made for her. So this is what I cameup with this week.
Aria'a Wonky Star Quilt
Leah's wonky star doll quilt
Hopefully, this will work! 

14 comments:

  1. I love red and white quilts. Today, I am hand stitching on the label of a Red n White quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. love your wonky stars but the granddaughter did too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh your granddaughter is a smart one...yes of course the doll needs a quilt to match, lol! :) And no wonder..hers is beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great little quilt for Leah! Just like her Momma's (dolls do call their owners Momma right?) I've been working for a few years getting the garden soil happier.. lots of sand here. I tend to garden in the winter now... too darn hot in the summer. your leaves are coming along well. Lady in the Lake is a fun one to make and will look great in red and white.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think everyone is drawn to red & white quilts. My piecing is not as good as it used to be. I mainly stick to applique quilts now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the quilt you made for your granddaughter. The matching doll quilt is perfect. : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. So many pretty leaves waiting to be appliqued... FUN!
    Love the doll quilt that matches the bigger quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love Lady of the Lake pattern as well. You will make a lovely quilt I am sure. Also agree with you regarding some good thought going into "the next project." I don't want to spend time on any old thing. All your work is beautiful. Love that doll quilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe some would call us quilt snobs. But I know what you mean! LOL I don't turn out quilts to be turning them out. I try to think about what I want to achieve before I start!

      Delete
  9. I've struggled with piecing too and starching not steaming changed everything for me.
    Cute star quilt and the dolly quilt is adorable~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, starch is a quilter's friend. Thanks for the tips. I think sometimes I press too much and maybe should just stick to fingerpressing till the block is complete.

      Delete
  10. alvin@mail.postmanllc.net

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love doing vine work or leaf work on my quilts. It's slow going which is good, and it seems there are always vines or leaves that need to be made. Adorable little doll quilt. I know she loves it.

    ReplyDelete