Friday, March 27, 2015

Binding and Finishes

I have always enjoyed the binding process when making a quilt.  I have heard many quilters say they just hate it.  So this week as I trimmed up my patriotic chevron quilt and made my binding I started to wonder why I enjoyed it when others do not.  I know many quilters love the start of a new project, and although the thought of working with new fabric and a different design can be exciting.  I have always loved the finishes more!  The binding process is the time in the process where I reflect back on all the processes it took to make the quilt. The memories that I will always associate with this particular quilt.   Part of it also has to do with my need for neatness.  I can't say that my sewing area is pristine, and perfect. In fact there are days especially when I am piecing that fabric and thread can be found everywhere. But, when the day is done I always take a few minutes to tidy up.  When I am hand quilting I love the look of my quilt being framed by the hoop.  So lovely! But those raw edges with batting and uneven fabric with bits of thread is just so annoying.  I know some quilters will wrap the backing around to cover the exposed batting, but I am generally too excited to put in some stitches to take the time to do that  So, when it is time to bind and cut off the ugliness, it is a time to rejoice and and prepare for another wonderful finish! So that binding is like the beautiful ribbon on a package.  It needs to have just as much effort put into it as the rest of the quilt.
I remember my first binding. I wrapped the backing around to the front of the quilt. Boy, I had no idea what I was doing then.  Look at this corner!





Now I only use bias binding as it lays so nicely.  I have gone over the years from starting with a two and half inch strip down to a  two inch strips for my binding. A nice thin binding that is full just looks so much nicer to my eye. No more ugly corners, but neat and tidy miters that don't distract the eye, but frame the quilt nicely.  So while starting a new quilt is exciting for some, I really prefer the finishes!  It is a time to rejoice over another successful quilt!





25 comments:

  1. I think I enjoy the binding process because I love the feel of hand stitching =) Great job on your quilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Deb you are so right hearing the thread go thru the fabric and hiding the last bit of ugliness is so wonderful

      Delete
  2. I don't dislike the binding step, but I always procrastinate on the hand sewing part of it.:) It really is a great time to reflect on all the steps to making the quilt though! Congrats on another great finish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far I haven't done that , but it does seem to take me longer to get it stitched down. Either I am making larger quilts or I am getting slower.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for your binding inspiration. I too love a narrow binding. I do like to try different methods and a back to front narrow is on the bucket list. Your corners look wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find the miter turns our better on the backside with a thinner binding! Whoo Hoo almost another finish.

      Delete
  4. I love the binding process because it means I'm almost finished. I still use 2.5 inch binding and don't cut it on the bias. Looks like you have come a long way. Your corner and binding that wasn't mitered made me laugh. I think we have all been there. Heck, I think I'm still there half the time!

    I dislike (and so stall out on) piecing the blocks into a top. It's just so boring to me. I'm forcing myself to do that this year. I have waaaaaaay too many UFOs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy you and me both just piecing blocks over and over does get so boring. I think that is why I love applique each block is like a new project. I have gone to just making blocks here and there and it is really much more fun that way. Although, it means I have twice as many projects going as I used to. LOL

      Delete
  5. I agree... love stitching the binding... enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it is why I like paper piecing too! Trimming those blocks and getting rid of the excess is such a good feeling.

      Delete
  6. Great post Carla... from where you started to where you are today... and the patriotic quilt looks great with that binding on it too! Wonderful choice to bind in navy!! I slow down and enjoy the binding process most of the time as that signals the end of a project and time to move something new into my hand quilting space :) I also enjoy a clean sewing room though! Kathi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I made that Christmas wall hanging about fifteen years ago. I have come a long baby don't you think? I can tell from your pics that you don't like clutter. I like to keep all my ugly things in the closet and love to work without piles of things around me. Although sometimes when I get to cutting it gets pretty bad.

      Delete
  7. I don't mind doing binding but starting a new quilt is the most fun for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't like making the decision to start a new quilt. I guess with all my slow stitching I know that I will live with my decision for quite awhile, but somehow I am always pleased when I finish.

      Delete
  8. Everything that you do is neat and tidy, lovely and inspiring! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Carla, I love this! Your choice of quilting was perfect for it. Binding is my favorite part of the process. The enjoyment is two-fold. I love the rhythm of the stitching, and as you said, enjoying the finish! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I did not even bind my first few quilts...I made them pillowcase style...not pretty! I love the hand stitching on the binding too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. somehow I lost you off of my Feedly Reader and all of a sudden realized it. you have been busy and I have you back on my reader now

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been having some issues with bloglovin too. Have you ever used it? If you have do you prefer Feed my Reader?

      Delete
  12. What were we thinking all those years ago. I too use to bind with the backing up to the front of the quilt.Today it is sewn on binding only with nice mitered corners. Binding for me is happy and sad. Happy cause another projects is almost done and sad cause this quilt is almost done! Too funny and only quilters would understand!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Binding is actually one of my favorite parts of building a quilt......interesting to examine how your skills have evolved.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your binding is very neat and tidy. I love the peak of blue hand quilting in your pictures as well. I enjoy binding as well and have never done the roll over type...but I think I'm supposed to be doing it on a donation quilt....could be interesting. I'll see how it turns out and if I don't like it I'll donate some fabric for the binding. I'm not down to 2" yet...just 2 1/2".

    ReplyDelete
  15. I enjoy the binding process (even if I have to wrestle a quilt to get the binding sewn on, like I did T#3's log cabin ... I can only imagine the wrestling that will be taking place when it comes time to bind the Kiss quilt - it's a generous king sized quilt). I like having another quilt ready to be used or gifted ... and it means time to start another quilt. Wahoo! I have to admit that I didn't know how to bind a quilt for the longest time ... I don't think I started "properly" binding my quilts until about 4-5 years ago. I'm self taught and didn't know any better. I bought premade bias tape and used it to make a facing for my quilts. :-o

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love your theory of why you love binding. So true. It is a fitting end to the creative process. Happy binding!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the feeling of finishing a quilt! For me, starting a quilt is fun, but it's also got a lot of uncertainty. Finishing feels so sure, you know what I mean?

    ReplyDelete