Saturday, August 9, 2014

More Green Pickledish

I am working on my pickle dish blocks this week.  I love choosing which black and white scraps to use for each block.  This quilt started as a  challenge to use a lot of the bright fabrics in my scrap box and pair them up with some black and white scraps  This has gone pretty well so far, but I don't really have a lot in the light green category.  So I went to my stash and came up with a  floral that I purchased in the early nineties.  It was actually a shower curtain I had made for my children's bathroom.   So I guess it is technically a scrap.
.
It looks gray in this pic but really is more green


This light green is a bit dull compared to my other blocks, so I needed to give it some appeal so that it could compete in the quilt with the others.   I decided to used two different prints from the black and whites.  I think it adds just the right amount of pizazz to help this block work with the others.  I am hoping it says hey look at me, when it finally gets put in the quilt. 

I was happy that I could use these black and white scraps leftover from my dog Max's quilt.  I must have bought two very similar fabrics at the time.  See the last strip on the right, it has more paw prints than the others.  Oh well, I think it will be alright.  I still have two more blocks to assemble, but I did get all the parts of the block made up this week.
 

19 comments:

  1. Great block - definitely one that I am going to have to add to my to-do list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I highly recommend it Ellen! It's a lot of fun and makes for a very interesting quilt.

      Delete
  2. I really admire your patience in putting together these blocks. I think anything that used to be a shower curtain definitely counts as a scrap. Looking good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you approve of shower curtain scrap. It took me a while to remember that is was a shower curtain at one time. The pickle dish block are interesting enough to keep my attention, they really are fun to make.

      Delete
  3. I will have to try the pickle dishes one day. They look like so much fun to make. That pale green takes on more of a green tone when surrounded by other greens (second photo). I'm sure it will be perfect in your quilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love paper piecing the arcs, they look kind of ugly till they get trimmed but then they are so pretty!

      Delete
  4. I can't wait to see the pickle dish quilt done. I am loving black and white quilts right now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad that my black and white scraps caught my eye. They make a great neutral especially when using bright and bold fabrics.

      Delete
  5. I think we are all struggling with the "light green" - I'm opting for blue-greens instead.

    Love your pickle dish blocks . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like your solution! I may have to do that in an upcoming month. No need to stress or fuss just change direction a bit.

      Delete
  6. Se ve bonito, y el negro y blando; es como luz y sombra...gracias por compartir...
    Saludos desde Madrid - EspaƱa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad I used the black and white too! It adds so much interest. Thanks for stopping by all the way from Spain!

      Delete
  7. This is such an interesting block. They are going to make an awesome quilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very fun to make too! I am really looking forward to finishing this one!

      Delete
  8. It's looking good, Carla! Don't worry about how the green looks to us -- cameras can be weird sometimes. You are seeing it in real life, so you will know if it's good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so true Monica! The time of day and angle make such a difference and I can claim I am a quilter. I know I am not a photographer! LOL

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. I am getting very excited about putting this together. Still have a few more months to go yet! So glad I joined the challenge this year.

      Delete
  10. I love seeing these progress each month. Such tiny parts and the curves. I am always amazed at your accuracy with these.

    ReplyDelete